So I got up this morning and had a look at the banners I did last night, and straight away hated them. They looked so wrong and not very professional and no were near my normal standard. So I moved onto plan B, which involved some converting work. So here we go this is how I do my banners.
2) Using a large cutting mat I placed talcum powder which I worked into the mat, as this stop's the green stuff from sticking. I also applied talcum powder to my roller in this case my hobby knife.
3) For my banners I used just over half a strip of green stuff that GW sell and kneaded it together. Once fully green I rolled it into a ball then placed it on the mat and rolled it in talcum powder.
4) Using my roller I rolled out the green stuff, making sure I turned it over so it does not stick to the roller. When I felt it was big enough I placed my banner template down to make sure I rolled out enough green stuff. What I will say you don't want your green stuff to thin as it will be to floppy and is likely to tear, and you don't want it to thick as it will look un-natural. You need some where in the middle were you can work with it comfortable.
5) Once happy that my template would fit I then cut round the template. Don't do a normal cut as you are likely to either tear the green stuff or scrunch it up. Do a straight cut down like you are cutting cheese, plus it will give you nice straight edges.
6) Supper glue was applied to one edge of the pole and placed about 3-4mm inside, then the banner edge was foldered round and blended into the rest of the banner. I normally use a spare paint brush for this bit but it is up to you. I lay the banner over the paint brush to get a nice curve shape, I then fold up one of the edges and place a paint pot there so that it keeps it's shape while it dries. Once dried it will have Primer sprayed over it to harden the green stuff so that it is ready to paint.
So there you have it, that's how I do my banners.
I had just enough Purity Seal to do another tank today with it's weathering. The tank done today was my first Chimera for the 1st Platoon Command. This model was first painted about the same time as the Sentinel that I finished yesterday. The turret is a Forge World turret and has a Forge World interior, all the command vehicles will have this interior. I also replaced the antenna that had snapped off quite some time ago but was never replaced. The weathering was done like the rest but I spent more time on the dozer blade. I was not sure how this was going to turn out as I wanted it to look quite battered and worn. So I added my normal weathering powder brushed off the excess, then applied a light rust powder with some metallic powder mixed in. I think it has turned out quite well, but next time I do a dozer blade I will use the technique in the Model Master Class book I have.