Monday, 16 January 2012

Sentinel Update

As I said yesterday I am trying to get two Sentinel's completed by Friday ready for the weekend. So after work today I sat down and did the interior on the command sentinel. I decided early on because I want the outside all white, it would look strange having a red interior. So I turned to my Forgeworld master class book and tried something new.

Needless to say it did not quite turn out how I wanted, so a little work is required because I want to use this on my scout vehicle next year. It was quite hard because first off I did not use a black base coat, plus I do not have any Satin Varnish. What this does I am not quite sure, so if anybody can shed any light on this then that would be great.

But anyway here are the pic's of what I wanted to do and what turned out. Sorry if it not a great photo as the crew compartment is a little cramp. Also I have taken a picture of the crewman that I have converted, he will have the controls glued in place once painted. Till tomorrow enjoy.





3 comments:

  1. to be honest it looks pretty good from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave.

    the satin varnish makes a very smooth surface that allows the oil wash to flow and move. see a satin or gloss varnish increases reflectivity by basiccally making the surface super smooth. a matt varnish or matt surface is so because its minutely rough.

    so applying a wash to a matt surface means it collects in all those wee bump that make it matt. that's the grainyness you can see on your interior. I'd probarbly further suggest your wash was a wee bit heavy (too much pigment) making it more pronounced.

    this stuff takes a few goes, I wouldnt worry about it :) did you use turps/oil paint, or one of the premix mig washes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karitas: Thank's for the info that has helped me loads. In answer to your question I used a oil colour and then used a thinner to water it down. I quess in the future I need to use less pigment and thin it down even more till it is almost gone, but I will keep plugging away at it.

    ReplyDelete